Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum
Our Mission: Ensure all students achieve their potential in school, career and life by unifying students, staff, curriculum and community in a safe, supportive, challenging, empowering and innovative learning environment.
Our Vision: Our department provides evolving and innovative curriculum and teacher training that meets the diverse needs of all students, and equips them to be positive and contributing members of society
The Department of Teaching, Learning & Curriculum includes:
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Early Childhood (Pre-K)
- Student Services
- English Language Learners
- Gifted Services
- Technology Integration
- Academic Coaching
- Data & Assessment
The Department of Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum provides leadership in curriculum and instruction as well as student services, working to ensure that every student in MUSD is safe, healthy, challenged, supported, and engaged. This includes collaborating throughout the department to develop and implement academic and social-emotional curriculum that meets the needs of individual students and is aligned with national and state standards, legislation, and evidence-based best practices. The Department of Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum works with schools on implementation of best practices, methods of assessing student learning emphasizing a variety of approaches. These efforts allow school staff to focus more closely on the needs of the individual students. In addition, the Department of Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum is responsible for:
- Implementing recommended teaching methods (PreK-12).
- Implementing & Integrating new resources, technology, and materials (PreK-12).
- Developing appropriate academic and social-emotional core curriculum as well as intervention and enrichment programs to accelerate student learning.
- Providing district and site-based counseling crisis response and intervention.
- Developing assessments to measure complex learning and report their results.
- Developing and implementing curriculum using best practices for all students including English learners, students with disabilities, and gifted learners.
- Monitoring and coordinating the implementation of Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) legislation, funding, and requirements.
- Supporting professional learning to assist staff in acquiring the knowledge, skills, and behaviors to work effectively with our culturally and linguistically diverse student body.
- Monitoring the success of student’s academic achievement; conducting reviews of grade reports, communicating and adjusting academic planning with the assistance of teachers, students and families.
- Engaging in school coaching and support to challenge and engage all students.
Phone: (520) 568-6125
FAX: (520) 568-5110
Director of Teaching & Learning:
Director of Curriculum & Instruction:
Director of Multiple Projects:
Director of Assessment and Data:
Federal Grant Coordinator:
Professional Development Coach:
Student Data Specialist:
Technology Integration Specialist:
Science Curriculum Adoption Review
Maricopa Unified School District is currently reviewing science curriculum for adoption. If you have interest in previewing any of the materials being considered, please reach out to your child's school to make an appointment to view the materials.
Ensure all students achieve their potential in school, career and life by unifying students, staff, curriculum and community in a safe, supportive, challenging, empowering and innovative learning environment.